Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring Time White and Blue


I wondered what the view would be like from this airplane as it flew across the waxing Pascal moon last week. The moon is full today but it has disappeared from the daytime sky for now.


I had been out looking for the first pussy willows of the season and finally found a stand of them at the edge of a swamp. All of the lower branches had already been cut by people wishing to make a spring bouquet so I just admired the furry white catkins against the clear sky.


The flower of this willow is one of our earliest signs of spring. I did manage to reach one small branch and have it in water at home. It has come into full flower with miniature yellow stamens and the leaves are starting to come out in the warm indoor air. I have heard a branch can rooted and planted in soil and may see if it survives in my garden. But I doubt that our dry, sandy soil will support a willow that prefers wet roots.


My best early spring treat was this beautiful Eastern Bluebird perched on a wire on a country road along the river. Eastern Bluebirds are not commonly seen in our area but efforts are being made to encourage them to nest here. This bird and its mate were checking out a numbered Bluebird house that had been placed on a post in the field.

These white Tundra Swans were making the spring journey north to their arctic nesting grounds. This day was favourable for migration with light winds and clear skies.

Spring sky watching is most rewarding!

Follow this link for more Skywatch posts from around the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment