Thursday, June 11, 2009

Friday Flowers: Buds to Blooms

(click on photo to enlarge)
In spite of the dull, damp weather this month, my garden has been fresh and colourful. Iris and poppy flowers are so fragile and last only a day or two in hot weather but I have enjoyed them for many days now. The flower buds of both these plants are as interesting and beautiful as the fully opened bloom, in my estimation.

Yesterday I went out on the deck early in the morning to enjoy the garden before work. It was chilly and damp enough to see fog curls rise from the ground. I have a couple of feeders hanging in the middle of the lilac bush now that it has finished flowering. What a treat it was to see the Red-breasted Nuthatches bring their newly fledged brood to the peanut feeder. They are very bold and do not leave when I stand close by. All five birds were yank-yanking noisily as the parent placed pieces of peanuts in their beaks. Then they went to the bird bath for a dip and a drink.

Budding flowers, baby birds, big blooms,
butterflies and bigger birds...
Beautiful June garden!

0 comments:

Post a Comment