Thursday, June 18, 2009

Friday Flowers: Raindrops

Fuschia bud in our yard (click to enlarge)

June continues to be wet and cool in southwestern Ontario and judging from other posts I have read this week, this has been a rainy spring in other parts of the continent too, especially in the east. Flowers, vegetables and other crops are off to a slow start. We should be at the peak of our strawberry season by Father's Day and I have yet to taste a local berry this year. A few days of sunny warmth will make the difference as there is plenty of moisture in the ground.

Roses, Lily leaves, Peony Bud

We have had years of drought in the past when lawns are brown and crisp by mid June and no rain is seen for six weeks or more. Our municipality allows us to water with a hose on one day each week and encourages the use of rain barrels and plantings which require less moisture. Canada is blessed with an abundance of fresh water but we still need to appreciate this resource which is so precious in more arid regions of the world.


It was raining steadily when I left work on Wednesday but I stopped at the rose garden to take some pictures of the wet blossoms. Many people in the world celebrate the rains when they come, and I can do that too.

I loved this rainy post that Esther Garvi posted in May from Niger.

0 comments:

Post a Comment